Friday 24 October 2014

bright lights, big city ~ NYC day 1

Despite having gone 3 times before, New York is always captivating for me. A few hours ago, I came back from my 4th trip to NYC and I decided I'd like to share it with you. Before I start let me apologise to any of you native New Yorkers out there if I get anything wrong, I'm still learning! ;)



NYC: DAY 1

Because of pretty awful jet lag, I happened to wake up at 5:45 in the morning (American Time) so we decided to make use of the extra time and get up and going. We started to ex
plore the city, before quickly finding some pretty amazing landmarks, such as the Rockefeller Centre. By now, it was 8:00 and the "Top of the Rock"  viewing experience opens then, so we took advantage.  Although the website makes it seem pretty touristy, and it probably is, if you go early in the morning you can beat the queues like we did *smug face* After a quick trip up in the lift all the way to the top of the Rockefeller Centre, we stepped out and saw the whole of Manhattan Island. About this time I realised I had forgotten the memory card to the whole camera, and was therefore unable to take any photos *facepalm* so all these Rockefeller photos were taken on an iPhone  (excuse the bad quality) until we could get a cheap memory card.




After this, we decided just to wander around and explore a bit. After not too long, we stumbled across the  Magnolia Bakery . (Magnolia does the best peanut butter cupcakes ever. Seriously.) I loved the decoration on the Halloween cupcakes.




Then a quick walk to the famous Times Square (touristy much?!)






After a junk food lunch of fries and a hot dog we wandered over to Grand Central Station to meet a friend. The decoration there is amazing, and below is a shot of one of their chandeliers.



Then we caught a cab to the Highline , an old converted railway turned mini park walkway. It's actually quite beautiful and it's in the middle of the Meat Packing District. (SoHo, TriBeCa, Greenwich Village kind of area I think) The buildings that surround the old railway have lots of arty graffiti to look at, it's like there's a Banksy on every corner!

Hailing a cab (I couldn't resist adding that classic NY yellow cab picture - such a tourist)






"Honey, I twisted through all the damn traffic to get here"


Next was a bit of shopping, and then a hot ramen noodle dinner at Ise Menkui -Tei  (definitely recommend that restaurant, best ramen ever) and then that was the end of day 1. Part 2 coming soon.




Esme x






1 comment:

thanks for your comment! I will try to reply ASAP x